Digital Excellence Center (QED) was established by the Ministry of Economic Development in June 2021. The aim of the QED is to function as a test environment (laboratory), and at the same time as a space for education and research of regional development. The primary beneficiaries will be students, recent graduates, and the private sector, studies.
QED will initially focus on studies, research and development based on the latest ICT and electronic communications trends such as:
- 3D printing technology by creating a laboratory equipped with relevant equipment (3D printers, scanners, and other equipment).
- 5G – the next generation of mobile technologies that is expected to revolutionize many industrial and developmental aspects.
- IoT (Internet of Things) – Internet of things – interconnected system of computer equipment, mechanical and digital equipment, etc. that makes possible the transfer of data through networks, without the need for interactions between people or between people and computer devices.
- Blockchain technologies and their use in different fields.
These goals are expected to be realized by creating physical conditions with newer and more advanced equipment from the respective fields and organizing trainings, seminars, and targeted activities.
The implementation of the goals of the QED is being realized in the spaces of the National Network for Research and Education of Kosovo (KREN) with an area of about 100m2, as an integral part of the Innovative and Training Park in Prizren.
At this stage, the management of QED activities is being carried out by the staff of the ICT Department of the Ministry of Economy and the staff of KREN.
Investments and success in the first phase
At this stage Digital Excellence Center, in the spaces of KREN in ITP, has provided equipment for 3D technology for different applications:
FORMIGA P110 is a flexible, cost-efficient and highly productive system for the Additive Manufacturing of polymer parts. This compact system is ideal as an entry into Additive Manufacturing, for example for cost-efficient small series production, customised products with complex geometries and rapid prototyping applications.
The EOS M 100 is based on the DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering) 3D printing technology developed by EOS. This 3D printing technique uses a fiber laser to melt and fuse fine metal powder. Layer after layer the 3D object is built. This 3D printing method allows creating 3D printed products with complex geometries including elements such as freeform surfaces, deep slots and/or coolant ducts.
The J835 is an industrial full-color 3D printer produced by Stratasys. Stratasys is a 3D printer manufacturer based in United States. The J835 was released in 2019 and uses Material Jetting 3D printing technology. This industrial 3D printer offers a build volume of 350 x 350 x 200 mm.
Stratasys is one of the only colour 3D printer manufacturers to offer official Pantone colours. The J835 can 3D print with up to 7 base resins at a time.
The F370 3D printer give designers, engineers and educators access to affordable, industrial-grade 3D printing. Work faster through concept iterations and component verification. Make jigs, fixtures and manufacturing tools faster, with strong, stiff materials. Increase productivity and reach your goals sooner with repeatable results.
The ATOS Compact Scan 5M is an industrial metrology 3D scanner by GOM, a global manufacturer operating from Germany.
Activities in the premises of the QED
To succeed in achieving its goals, QED has started to carry out several activities such as:
- Organizing continuous marketing campaigns for activities within the QED for the youth (especially students), and the private sector to be informed about the possibility and activities of the QED,
- Selection of the most successful students who will be offered advanced training and opportunities to test and use the relevant equipment.
- Holding various motivational activities for the participants.
- Creating continuous and active links with universities, colleges, professional schools, technology parks, other centers for research and development and with the sector of private and public businesses.
- Providing continuous support to the private sector (providing consulting services and relevant training) in the application of new technologies in the Kosovo market.
QED will develop activities through which the beneficiaries of the activities will be informed with the newest technology, with the appropriate trainings that will continue their career or business activities